This is a blog about my life in London and occasionally beyond

Thursday 2 July 2009

Cafe Crawl - London 2009


I had promised myself I would do a non eaterie post as my next post but I am a slight sucker for chronology and feel that although I could write about last week's hiking trip that I should write about Cafe Crawl 2009 first.

Despite the cool, official sounding title Cafe Crawl 2009 actually just involved Hannah and I going to a number of cafes that we fancied and ranking them using a rather rudimentary scale. (as I seem to have misplaced my moleskine right now I will come back to the scorings another time).

We oringinally planned to go to three cafes and eat at all of them... ordinarily this wouldn't seem such a feat as my appetite is usually more than adequate for such a task but on this day it just didn't quite happen. This does not, however, mean that we went to fewer cafes (2 cafes would not have made much of a crawl after all) it means we added a fourth. - This does make sense but Drisk logic is sketchy at the best of times so considering it's gone midnight on a school night I won't bore you trying to convince you.

The cafes:

The Tea Box: this is a really lovely little tea shop in Richmond. The cafe delivers what you would expect of the name, it has a huge menu of different teas, including an earl grey infused hot chocloate (which was surprisingly good). The decor was pretty much what you would expect from a tea shop in richmond - reserved but in a slightly antiquey stylish way. The whole concept has been well thought out from the tea timers to let you know when your pot of tea will be at a certain strength to the spoons with little tea pots carved into the end. The food menu was also really great it gave me an opportunity to feed my month long craving for eggs benedict, the menu also included lots of interesting dishes including earl grey boiled egg. All prices were really reasonable and eveything was of a very high standard.



Beas of Bloomsbury: This is regarded as one of the best bakeries for cupcakes in all of the LDN. These guys didn't let us down particuarly with an £8 option that gets you tea, a cupcake, a few brownies, a scone and a couple of meringue type sweets. When we did actually score i think we gave this place a 9 for food taste, the food was really great (I quote: "the most amazing scone i've had" - Hannah Chung). The decor certainly wasn't as nice as The Tea Box and it didn't really seem to have all that much of an atmosphere. This place would be perfect to pick up some stuff and then go down to the nearby park to stuff your faces with one (or two) of their wide variety of flavoured cupcakes.

Betty Blythe: This is the point at which we realised we hadn't adequately prepared ourselves for Cafe Crawl 2009 (we have taken it into account and will train for the next effort) and couldn't eat any more. Hannah was also on a bit of a tea high even so I think we drank some bottled iced tea. We also sat inside and didn't take any pictures so I think it's actually a little unfair of me to talk about this place. But it didn't look as good as I had been led to believe from their website.

Daylesford: We have actually been to Daylesford already and it is our (I think I can speak for Hannah on this point) favourite cafe in London (so far). I have already blogged about this so check out that post.

Next Cafe Crawl will be held in the 2nd week of August and will be coming straight from Stockholm!

No comments:

Post a Comment