This is a blog about my life in London and occasionally beyond

Thursday 26 March 2009

Dris Cooks [not so] Red Velvet Cup Cakes

Lets be clear from the start, this is not going to be a cooking blog! If that's what your after my good friend hannah does a great cooking blog called CookEatDream it's taking a brief hiatus at the moment but will be back in a couple of weeks. Anyway enough about Hannah's blog...

So I've been trying out various diets lately just for health reasons I felt I should crack down on the amount of rubbish I eat and drink. I am currently on a strict water and tea only diet on the drinks front (I feel a lot better for it you should try it) and I'm not great on the food side of things but I decided today that I am only allowed to eat sweet things if I have made them myself (not a great plan for health or anything but quite fun).

I was recently talking to someone about cooking and mentioned that I was rubbish at it (although I, honestly, haven't tried to all that much), he seemed surprised by this and made what I thought was quite a good point. The point was that people like scientists and engineers (I studied engineering by the way) should really be quite good at cooking since it's basically just following formula and instructions. Seems fair enough, I wouldn't try to get arty with my food I would measure everything out as exactly as my tools would allow (my scales are rather crappy you see). So yeah I though "maybe I am good at this after all".

However, this also reminded me of another story and that is that newly qualified pilots when flying through thick cloud will often start to distrust their instruments and believe they are flying upside down even though their instruments say otherwise. I think scientists and engineers may suffer from this type of arrogance so it could really go either way.

I was going to give step by step pictures but I made a little too much of a mess so here's the final product that as you can see are not red (I am clearly veering towards the pilot story side of the argument... I doubt anyone would be surprised) so I am dubbing them "Fake Velvet Cupcakes wit Cream Cheese Frosting" they taste pretty good though, my presentation could do with a bit of work though...


No comments:

Post a Comment