This is a blog about my life in London and occasionally beyond

Sunday 24 January 2010

Lomography Workshop: Light Painting


Hannah and I have tried our hands at a little light painting before but only ever with moderate success. So when we found out that the lovely folks at Lomography do workshops we were very excited to find a light painting workshop was one of them.

And this is how it went:

How it’s done:
- You need a camera that will allow you to slow your shutter speed down… a lot of digital/analogue SLRs will allow you to do this for a set amount of time (most often 30 seconds I believe) but with a lomo you can keep it open for as long as you hold the button down.
- So set your Lomo to its B ('Bulb') setting on your Diana (differs between cameras, it’s a crescent moon on the coloursplash) and this will allow the shutter to stay open.
- Turn off all lights
- Hold the shutter release down (there’s a tab you can insert on the Diana if you don’t have a handy assistant)
- Get a torch, sparkler or phone ready and use it to draw whatever you like (remember if you’re writing you need to do it backwards).
- Release the shutter and you will have your light drawing!

Note: If you would like anything other than the light to show up (a person for instance) just fire a flash gun and they will appear (this must be done after the drawing has been complete).

The below photo was Lucy, our Light Painting tutor, writing ‘Lomo’


We also did some long exposures on Regent Street:


I would definitely recommend popping along to one of the workshops (if you don't have a Lomo they will lend you one). As far as I'm aware they haven't put up their Feb schedule yet but check out their facebook and they will update you when it does http://www.facebook.com/lgslondon?ref=ts

I would really like a new banner for this blog so I have been trying to get a "DRISK" light painting, but for some reason when writing with a sparkler I write Ds as Ps and I'm not changing my name due to my inadequacies with sparkler writing. So I will keep trying.

[Disclaimer: As usual all photos are taken by me or Hannah however if you are in any photos and would like them removed please let me know]

No comments:

Post a Comment